I don't know what to do with my blog anymore. I need purpose!
The original purpose of this blog was to help myself get though the wait and to mass-inform family and friends about adoption-related topics and our progress towards bringing Alex home. Now, he's here and doing great! Has the purpose of my blog been fulfilled? It is most definitely the end of one journey (the process) and the beginning of another (parenting!), but for this specific blog, I no longer know how to proceed.
So, stay tuned. I am thinking about creating a more private (password protected) day-to-day blog specifically for family and friends who want to stay in the loop. I am also thinking of creating another blog geared towards the adoption community that will not contain any pictures or real names.
Or, maybe I will just take a break from blogging. I certainly don't have the time or energy to recount every event that happens in our daily lives, and once you put off blogging about one event, every subsequent event just keeps adding to the pile. How can I talk about this event when I haven't talked about that event, and who is going to feel bad because I didn't mention their event? It's too much sometimes.
It can also be difficult to write honestly when I don't know who exactly who is reading this (public) blog. I have to think about my audience! A certain post might read very differently if it was intended for family/friends vs the blogging/adoptive community. And now that Alex is home, I think that is a distinction I may have to make.
So, as you can see, I don't know how to proceed. But, I thought I should post something just in case anyone out there was worried about us. Honestly, we are doing great, and I am enjoying each day I get to spend with my son.
We are slowly introducing him to people. Slowly. He does have a fear of strangers (as I've mentioned countless times on this blog), so each new person he meets adds a new level of anxiety. I've gotten to the point now where I can read Alex like a book. I often know just by looking at him what he wants and needs. The hard part is convincing others of this and that we are doing everything in the best interest of Alex. We are his parents so, by default, we are the only people in his lives that know him best.
Just keep in mind that a couple of strangers he met only about 6 weeks ago were me and Ryan, and Alex doesn't know whether or not you or anyone else is going to be the next person to take him away from his family, as we took him away from his foster family. It's all about perspective.
I will leave you with a couple of new pictures of our sweet boy who is about to turn 19 months! It's so exciting to finally be a part of each milestone.


Whatever you do I want more pictures of Alex:)
ReplyDeleteThree things:
ReplyDelete1. Great questions to ask!
2. "I've gotten to the point now where I can read Alex like a book." How sweet! I love that. Hopefully, he'll always let you see the pages clearly.
3. Jen, do they have that hat in size 7 1/2 ?
and, yes, I read your blog through my RSS reader though I seldom comment I've been reading.
Just wanted to pipe in and say how much I've enjoyed your blog (and good lord, Alex is adorable!). As someone who's waiting for a referral, I can't tell you how helpful and valuable it is to read about others' experiences! Even if you stop adding new entries, I wonder if you'd consider keeping this blog online for adoptive parents to find and read. Just a thought. :)
ReplyDeleteThanks, Amy! I think I will keep the blog up, at least for now. I know for myself, it was invaluable to be able to read the experiences of other adoptive families during the wait. I'm glad I could provide that for you! Good luck on your journey. I hope you receive a referral soon!
ReplyDeleteNo matter what you pick make sure I get invited! :) I understand having blogs about kid(s) gets put under the rug here and there but its great to have something to look back on!
ReplyDelete