We received another update! From the information we have received, he seems to be growing and developing extremely well. Here are just some of the things he's doing at 12 months...
- He runs (it literally says, "he runs almost all of the time"... gulp!)
- He says "no" meaningfully... ahh, a real toddler
- He says one-word sentences and shows an understanding of words
- He plays ball cooperatively
- He turns pages of books
- He builds towers using two cubes
- He brings a spoon to his mouth
- He finds hidden objects
His update also mentioned that he has (once again) developed stranger anxiety. It said this also in his earlier reports, but the one before this mentioned that his stranger anxiety had lessened a lot. Well, apparently it's back! When they were taking first-birthday photos of him, he would cry if his foster mom tried to put him down. You can tell from the photo that he looks shy and nervous (but still oh, so cute!). I'm really hoping his stranger anxiety lessens before we travel to Korea to bring him home, because remember, to Alex, we are strangers! In future posts, I am going to begin writing about attachment and our plan for Alex's transition. Based on his current stranger anxiety, I expect it could be a rough one!
(P.S. This update did not mention anything about his first-birthday Tol celebration or what he grabbed. I'm hoping that information will be included in a future update, but if not, we will ask Alex's foster mom when we meet her in Korea.)

How is Alex SO FREAKING CUTE? Seriously, he's gorgeous. (I know I've said this before.) Sounds like a good update, and how precious is that hanbok? I'm afraid stranger anxiety is just a fact of life, a survival skill. It may be rough for a bit, but you will eventually build trust, and you won't be strangers anymore; you'll be his parents :) Our daughter is STILL changing what her baseline level of comfort of us is with...it gets better.
ReplyDeleteOh, and I LOVE your new blog design!
Thanks, Sarah! Always love your comments. :-)
ReplyDeleteOh, he is adorable!!! I am so happy for you that you received an update and that Alex is doing so well!
ReplyDeleteYou have definitely confirmed for me that I want to request a first birthday update. I hope we hear something about our little guy soon.
okay, seriously, your son is BEAUTIFUL! those eyes kill me!!
ReplyDeleteand, jen, my friends told me this before carson came home and i didn't really listen and i wish i had: start working out! for real!!!
carson is a runner and climber and goodness, i wish i had done px90 or something before he came home because my body was not (and still is not) prepared to keep up with a busy toddler! :)
p.s. love the design!