This question, unfortunately, doesn't always come so eloquently spoken. It usually sounds a lot more like this, "So, are you and Ryan going to have any of your own children?" I understand what people mean when they ask me this question. I also know that, in most cases, it's an honest, curious question. Still, knowing that Alex is and will be very much my own son, it hurts that he might somehow be "demoted" to anything else. Think of it from Alex's perspective. If we aren't his own parents, then who is? If we aren't his real family, then who is? These are the kind of questions I never want Alex to wonder. And besides, how Ryan and I choose to further build our family in the future (if at all) is our decision to make and our news to share when the time comes. With little Alex still several months away from joining our family, it's not a very pertinent question!
I love these sentiments. Alex is blessed to join you two as a family!
ReplyDeleteThanks, Scott!
ReplyDelete