Oct 16, 2010

Luck Has Nothing To Do With It

One extremely common misconception about adoption is that adopted children are "lucky". Viewed from the child's perspective, however, it is easy to see how he may not agree. As Alex grows up, please do not tell him he is lucky. Like all children, Alex simply deserves a family and a place to call home, and "luck" has nothing to do with it. I wrote the following poem to help conceptualize the world from Alex's point of view:


"Luck Has Nothing To Do With It"


I don't mean to paint a bleak picture here
Luck may have a place in the world
But it's simply not near

A boy was born thousands of miles away
Separated from his mother
That very first day

Oh, little boy, what do you think now
Are you feeling lucky yet
I just don't see how

A foster family welcomed you into their home
But don't get too comfortable
You are not their own

Just when you think your world is secure
There will be another family
Of that, I am sure

We will come to Korea and scoop you away
From your life and your home
It's your adoption day

Oh, little boy, what do you think now
Are you feeling lucky yet
I just don't see how

I cannot foresee the ending to your story
But it's my hope and my dream
That one day you'll see
You may not feel lucky
But you'll always have me

5 comments:

  1. this poem brings tears to my eyes everytime I read it. Love, MOM

    ReplyDelete
  2. He may not be lucky, but he is surely touched by providence! Beautiful poem, sweetie.
    Eileen

    ReplyDelete