I have always had a love and fascination for culture. I love my own culture. I love other cultures. I love how different we all are. I love how much we have in common. And I am so excited to be expanding our family's culture by adopting a baby boy born in South Korea.
As Alex grows up, I hope to provide him with ample opportunities to learn about and be immersed in Korean culture. He may choose to identify with his Korean heritage, his American upbringing, or a combination of the two. Either way, in order to celebrate Korean culture in our family, we first need to learn about and be immersed in Korean culture ourselves.
Now, some of you may not know this, but Ryan and I have technically been to South Korea before! Yep, we had a layover in the Seoul airport on our flight home from Thailand. The best part: CARIBOU COFFEE! There was a CARIBOU COFFEE in the Seoul airport! I was in heaven (and know exactly where to get my caffeine fix for our flight home with Alex!). But let's be honest, I was too busy sipping on my latte to learn anything about Korean culture (except that Korean Air is the best airline ever!). Plus, at the time, I had no idea that about a year later we'd be handing in our pre-adoption application for Korea!
So, my disclaimer is this: as I begin a series of posts about Korean culture, understand that I have very few first-hand experiences. My posts are based on information from books or internet searches. I am, however, hoping to include a few posts from guests who have those first-hand experiences. If you have visited or lived in Korea for any amount of time, I may be contacting you! In the meantime, feel free to contact me if you have a story or tidbit about Korean culture you would like to share on my blog.
Stay tuned for upcoming posts about the "hanbok," my adventure attempting to make "kimchi," (supposedly the healthiest food on the planet), and my and Ryan's first joint experience eating at a Korean restaurant! I look forward to learning with you!
Have you contacted Anna about this? She's about as immersed in Korean culture as you can get!
ReplyDeleteEileen
I was planning on it! :-D
ReplyDeleteThere are now 4 Caribou Coffees in Seoul! Expensive but delicious :)
ReplyDeleteScore!!!
ReplyDelete