Nov 17, 2010

Korean Food: Everything We Don't Know

Okay, are you ready for this? I am about to write the worst post about Korean food ever written. It will not be informative. You will not learn anything about the cuisine whatsoever. But, if there is one thing that makes this post worthy of a title regarding Korean food, it is that we tried it, and we liked it. 

WOOHOO, we LIKED it! This is big, people. I was worried, I must admit, because I am not the most adventurous eater. I usually approach new styles of food with my brows furrowed and head arched back. I take minuscule-sized bites, my fork in one hand, a napkin in the other, always leaving myself the option of whether to swallow or not. 

But this was different. This was the food of my son's birth-country and culture. How could I disgrace this opportunity with apprehension? I had no choice. I dove right in. And it was great. Everything was great

If I had been better prepared, this is where I would have described all the wonderful dishes we tried. I would tell you the names, the main ingredients, and even include some pictures. This was my plan. That is, until I realized that I forgot to bring something to write with, something to write on, and a little device called a camera. 

No matter! This experience is bound to happen again, and I promise I will be much better prepared! So, in the meantime, rather than write about the wonderful food, I will write about the wonderful company

I met Erica in one of my classes at Hamline. Over the course of a few classes, I learned that she had spent a year living and teaching English in Korea, has a sister who had adopted a baby boy from Ethiopia (both of whom I got to meet), and is married to a Korean-American  guy named Hugh. How cool! It was awesome to experience eating at a Korean restaurant with a couple who knew what dishes to order, how to pronounce them, and even how to eat them. We learned so much! Too much, even. It's probably a good thing I forgot the pen and paper or I would've been scribbling away all night! 

Needless to say, it was a great evening. It's nights like this that make me appreciate the wonderful ways in which adoption is enriching our lives. I love the people we are meeting, the experiences we are experiencing, and the opportunities we are encountering... and we don't even have the kid yet! Simply amazing.

6 comments:

  1. I LOVE Koren food with the exception of Kimchi...that is the worst stuff on the planet! LOL
    Here is a video of some of the foods I had while in South Korea.... Bulgogi is one of my all time favorite foods!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-NPrRvPBIhg
    Also it was my first time eating an alive animal (not as bad as you would think)-
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3iBfGuIFEuE
    I hope you learn to cook Bulgogi because then I can steal your recipes!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, Angela, cool videos! You are very brave! I must say, we steered clear of the sea food, but we did see meat being cut up with a scissors. Very unexpected, but I guess it makes sense!

    ReplyDelete
  3. We went to a place called King's in Fridley.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Jen (and Ryan)- I've been following your blog since we saw you a few weeks ago. I really love it! Glad you enjoyed Korean food. There is a really good place on the U's campus called Korea Restaurant and it's a block from my office so I get to enjoy it regularly:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Desirae! That's awesome! We should meet up there sometime! :-)

    ReplyDelete